Komiti Pasifika is an advisory committee to the New Zealand Post Primary Teachers' Association / Te Wehengarua (PPTA) National Executive.
PPTA Pasifika Network
PPTA recognises the particular needs of Pacific Island teachers and students, and is committed to the promotion of policies and programmes to address their professional, industrial and cultural issues. This work is co-ordinated regionally through local Pasifika networks and Regional Pasifika coordinators and nationally through PPTA’s Komiti Pasifika which is made up of representatives from around the country, four from the Northern area and two from the Southern.
Komiti Pasifika also works to build Pacific teacher networks within PPTA and Pacific union networks by such activities as:
- Liaison and communication with PPTA Pacific teachers in their area.
- Promoting the views of Pacific teacher colleagues at Komiti Pasifika meetings.
- Contributing to national PPTA activities and conferences.
- Contributing to planning and presenting PPTA regional activities, eg the Auckland and Counties Manakau PI Seminar
- Co-ordinating efforts to improve the educational opportunities of Pacific secondary school students.
- CTU Komiti Pasefika involvement and inter-union activities
- Liaison with Ministry of Pacific Islands Affairs
- Liaison with the Pasifika Education section of the Ministry of Education
- Liaison with Learning Media
- Participation in the Council of Pacific Education (COPE)
- Supporting teachers in Pacific events such as the Auckland Pacific Festival
- Working with Pacific Nations Educators Association (PNEA)
- Liason with PPTA Te Huarahi
- Pasifika Teachers community webpage
Pacific members in branches and regions are encouraged to communicate with their Komiti Pasifika representatives and to forward issues they would like the Komiti to consider and address.
Becoming active through the PPTA Pasifika Network
There are active PPTA Komiti Pasifika local groups in both Auckland and Wellington. If you are a Pacific teacher outside Wellington/Hutt and Auckland and would like to join the PPTA Pasifika network, please contact one of the Komiti Pasifika members or contact Jane Benefield at PPTA National Office.
The Pasifika network encourages Pacific teachers to seek nomination as regional Pacific Islands Coordinators in their PPTA regions so that all regions have representation. All Pacific teachers are urged to contribute to the PPTA Pasifika network by participating in regional Komiti Pasifika where possible, or volunteering as a local Pasifika contact person.
National Office maintains a Pacific Electoral roll. This roll is used for elections for Komiti Pasifika positions and so that members can be contacted and consulted on issues of concern to them..
Members are also encouraged to participate in the CTU Pasefika network, and to attend PPTA ERE training and branch and regional seminars whenever possible.
When there is an issue of particular significance to Pacific teachers in branches, regions or nationally , the Komiti Pasifika network should be utilised to gain support and share information and resources in addressing it.