Note: Guidelines for implementing the SMA provisions of the Secondary Teachers’ Collective Agreement 2019-2022 are available for branch officers
Senior Management Allowances (SMAs)
Each year, secondary schools receive a number of Senior Management Allowances (SMAs) to allocate to senior management teachers with designated school-wide management responsibilities, and who formally deputise from time to time for one or more of the principal’s responsibilities.
The value of these allowances will increase from $1,000 to $2,000 on 28 January 2020.
SMAs are paid fortnightly at the full rate of $2,000 per annum.
An SMA cannot be split between two people.
Schools must distribute the allowances after consultation with their senior management teams. Your PPTA branch chairperson has information on appropriate consultation processes.
SMAs are for senior teachers with school-wide leadership, management and/or administrative responsibilities, who formally deputise from time to time for one or more of the Principal’s responsibilities.
You cannot hold more than two management allowances.
SMAs are for not for:
- Extra-curricular activities
- A role that is not in senior management
- A senior management role that does not have school-wide leadership, management and /or administrative responsibilities
- A senior manager who does not formally deputise from time to time for one or more of the principal’s responsibilities
- The level of performance of management duties
- Agreeing to take on more work beyond delegated responsibilities of the principal
The majority of SMAs are permanent because they are for ongoing management duties. No more than 50% of a school’s allocation can be offered as fixed-term payments.
A school should distribute all its SMAs, or some teachers will miss out on additional payment that they would otherwise receive.
The specific clauses on SMAs are under 4.3B of the 2019-2022 STCA.
Area schools do not have SMAs.
Note: More substantial advice on SMAs is available on request. Contact email@example.com